My mom came to visit me earlier this month and she was sweet enough to bring her stash of family recipes with her for me to borrow. My plans are to copy them along with my own recipes into one big recipe book, to replace the scraps of papers and magazine clippings stuffed into cookbooks on their last leg that sit in my office. I love looking through recipes and spent hours with my mom thumbing through her collection. It was so neat to see the handwritten recipes from my mom, grandmother, and great-grandmother. When we came across this Strawberry Stuffed Angel Food Cake recipe my mom’s eyes lit up and she described how it was her very favorite growing up. So of course, we had to make it and share it with you all too!
(Doesn’t my mom have the neatest handwriting??!) We actually made the recipe twice. The first time we couldn’t get the whipped cream whipped enough to thicken properly so while our dessert tasted delicious, it wasn’t the prettiest thing in the world. The second time we substituted Cool Whip, which is what my mom recalled using instead of the heavy whipped cream in the original recipe. This works wonderfully and is the way I’ll be making it from now on. We also used fresh strawberries instead of frozen because it’s summer and we could, so why not!
Strawberry Cream Filled Angel Cake
This light and fluffy strawberry creme filled angel food cake is a classic dessert recipe that’s perfect for entertaining!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- Category: dessert
- Method: none
- Cuisine: American
- 1 box angel food cake mix, prepared in angel food pan according to package directions (or one store-bought angel food cake)
- 15 1/2 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 container Cool Whip, full fat/sugar
- 1-pint strawberries, sliced plus more for garnish if desired
- In a medium bowl combine condensed milk, lemon juice, and almond extract and stir until blended. Fold in Cool Whip. Chill at least 10 minutes.
- Remove cooled angel food can from pan and turn upside down on a platter.
- Cut the top 1″ off cake and carefully set aside.
- Use a spoon to scoop out 1″ tunnel around the cake, reserving cake crumbs.
- Remove whipped mixture from refrigerator. Divide in half. In one half add crumbs from cake removed and fold in strawberries.
- Fill tunnel in cake with strawberry mixture.
- Replace top of cake and press gently. Top with remaining whipped cream mixture.
- Chill at least 4 hours before serving. Garnish with additional strawberries if desired.
This cake serves best if kept very cold.
Each serving is 10 Weight Watchers Freestyle Smart Points.
Keywords: strawberry, angel food, whipped cream
Did you ever have this delicious dessert recipe growing up? If you try be sure to let my mom and I know what you thought!
You might also like these recipes:
- Strawberry Creme Puff Cake
- Strawberry “Nice” Cream
- Chocolate Chip Strawberry Cake
- Easy Cream Cheese Strawberry Danish