Hi friends! We hit the upper 40s this week and in South Georgia, that means everyone is freezing and talking about it being winter! My husband (who is from Michigan) thinks this is hilarious, but we Southerners are cold anytime it’s below 70! Anyways, the crisp weather has me craving comfort foods, and this easy Instant Pot Beef Stew is just that.
I love that I can make this stew in just an hour and it tastes like its been simmering all day in a crockpot! It’s the perfect recipe for those busy nights I’m running kids around to various sports and clubs. If I have time I like to pair it with some corn muffins or this yummy cornbread I shared with you recently. My husband likes it served over mashed potatoes as well. (He’s a potato guy!) Anyway, you serve it, you’ll love coming home to this delicious beef stew at the end of the day.
With this Instant Pot recipe, we start with saute mode to brown the meat and then use beef broth to deglaze the bottom of the pan. Don’t skimp when browning the meat, you want to brown all side and really lock the flavor into the stew meat. When you pour in the broth, stir around the bottom to release all those flavorful bits into the broth for the best taste. Once you lock the lid of the Instant Pot and set the timer under the stew setting you’re good to go to forget about this cooking until you are ready to eat. Let the pressure release naturally over the 30-40 minutes after cooking for the best results.
If you’re not ready to eat it after the pressure releases the Instant Pot will keep it warm until you are ready. I like to set up this recipe around the time my kids are coming home from school so its ready once we are finished with evening sports. It’s also a great recipe if you have a busy evening where different people are eating at different times, as it will taste just as good at 5 as it will at 6:30 (which often happens when my husband and I have to tag team to get the kids to different activities and our evening schedules don’t overlap!)Print
Easy Instant Pot Beef Stew
Fast, easy, and delicious, this Instant Pot beef stew cooks up in just an hour and tastes like its been simmering slowly all day long! Its the perfect comfort food for chilly winter evenings!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 35 min
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 5 large red potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- In a large bowl combine stew meat and flour and stir to coat.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute setting and add butter. When butter is melted and sizzling, add meat. Brown on all sides stirring only enough to prevent burning.
- Pour in beef broth and scrape the bottom of the bowl to deglaze.
- Add potatoes, onion, carrots, garlic, soy sauce, Worcestershire, and tomato paste. Stir until uniform.
- Lock the lid of the Instant Pot and set to Stew mode for 35 minutes. Allow the pressure to release naturally after the cooking time is ended, about another 30 minutes.
- Carefully move open steam valve and release the lid. Salt to taste.
Keywords: beef stew
I hope you enjoy this warm Instant Pot Beef Stew. For more easy comfort food recipes, check out these blog posts: