I love some OREO dirt cake. Seriously. L-O-V-E. When I was a little girl my aunt would make dirt cake for every family get together and it was my all time favorite dessert. I mean, any recipe that includes an entire package of Oreo cookies ranks up there, am I right? When I grew up my aunt’s dirt cake recipe was the very first one I added to my own cookbook, and it remains to this day one of the easiest and most loved dessert recipes I have. It’s also one of this blog’s most popular posts so I know you will love this easy dirt cake recipe too!
So without further ado, this is my Aunt’s OREO dirt cake recipe and it is scrum-delicious. I hope you agree!
- Cream together butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk pudding mix, milk, and Cool Whip. Add in cream cheese mixture.
- Crush Oreos. (I like to put mine in a gallon Ziploc bag and let the boys crush them with a rolling pin, just make sure the bag is all the way closed! If “the help” isn’t available I pulse them in my Ninja blender to get finer, more uniform crumbs.
- Layer cookie and pudding mixture and chill!
****Chill at least 2 hours before serving****
Best Dirt Cake Recipe. Ever.
This classic OREO Dirt Cake recipe is easy to make and always a crowd favorite!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 12
- Category: dessert
- Method: none
- Cuisine: American
Cream together butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar in mixer until blended. Do not over mix.
In a separate bowl whisk together pudding mix, milk, and Cool Whip. Add in cream cheese mixture and stir to blend.
Crush Oreos into fine crumbs.
Layer alternating between the cookie crumbs and pudding mixture and chill at least two hours before serving
Be sure to use INSTANT pudding mix. Allow time for dirt cake to chill at least two hours before serving.
Voila! Easy-peasy! I usually make mine in a trifle dish so I can see all the yummy goodness awaiting me but my aunt likes to serve hers in a clean terra cotta pot which is super cute! Gummy worms and a faux flower also maximize the cuteness when serving. My boys just love the gummy worms in the “dirt!”
For more yummy dessert ideas check out my other desserts: