I am a huge fan of being able to work from home. The moment I held my oldest son in my arms eleven years ago I knew that I wanted to stay home with him. I was lucky enough to stumble into blogging as a full-time job and it has allowed me to stay home with my three boys while earning a full-time income. I definitely don’t think blogging is for everyone so I’m always on the lookout for other work from home opportunities to share with you all and today I wanted to talk about how you can earn money teaching online from home.
VIPKID is a company that specializes in teaching English online to Chinese children. It was founded in 2013 and has a solid reputation, winning many innovation awards. To teach for VIPKID you must be a native North American English speaker but you can teach from anywhere in the world. You must also have at minimum a Bachelor’s degree and at least some experience working with children (teacher, coach, mentor, tutor, etc.) VIPKID was rated the #1 remote job of 2018 by FORBES magazine. It’s seriously a great opportunity!
When my husband was attending an international course in England for a year I met multiple Canadian & American spouses who were teaching with VIPKID while living abroad and they absolutely adored it! It was something they could do while traveling, moving from place to place, etc.
- Complete the online application here. You’ll be contacted typically within 24 hours to set up an interview and demo lesson.
- Complete the Interview & Demo Lesson – this is very important and can determine your pay rate so prepare and practice ahead of time! YouTube is an amazing resource for examples of demo lessons and advice from teachers on how to interview successfully.
- Sign the contract and submit required documents (easy peasy!)
- Complete Paid Training and Mock Lessons
- Start Teaching and Earning!
FAQs about teaching for VIPKID:
- I never heard back after submitting my application. Check your spam folder! Their emails tend to get lost there on certain email servers.
- How much will I be paid? VIPKID pays $14-$22/hour, depending on your experience, education, interview success, and work ethic each month. Since it is a Chinese company, the pay is a little different than what Americans are used to. Pay starts at $7-$9 per 30-minute lesson. If you are on time for your classes, $1 is added to that $7-9 base pay, which makes it $8-10/30 minutes or $16-20/hour. An additional $1 is also added if you teach at least 45 classes/month (a minimum of 22.5 hours total for the entire month). This makes it $9-11/lesson or $18-22/hour. There are also many bonuses and incentives offered to increase your pay further. Being a no-show for classes or not fulfilling your agreement results in a deduction from your earnings so be sure you can commit to the classes and hours you agree on.
- What times of day will I work? The teaching schedule is based on the needs of the students located in China so for someone based out of the US this would be early morning hours on the weekdays and overnight on the weekends. It’s a great way to earn money in the morning before you even take the kids to school!
- How do you get paid from VIPKID? Teachers are paid once a month via direct deposit.
- Does VIPKID offer benefits? No. As a VIPKID teacher, you are an independent contractor so no taxes are taken out of your pay. You will receive a 1099 at the end of the year to file with your taxes.
- Do I have to lesson plan? No! All lessons are pre-planned with prepared slide decks and customized to the level of the child. They are very interactive and you will have a blast singing, miming, and having fun while your student learns!
- What am I required to have in order to teach? The biggest requirement is fast, reliable internet of course with a headset and camera. You’ll also need a whiteboard, alphabet flashcards or magnets, and some sort of puppet or plush toy to use during your lessons. Easy enough, right?!