I had planned on sharing these Thanksgiving turkey cookies yesterday but I’m going to admit it-there were about 4 rounds of turkey cookie “fails” before I finally got them to look the way I envisioned. I got the idea to make these little guys as a variation on my Christmas Mice Cookies I shared last year.
It was a labor of love figuring out how to best adapt these mice into little turkey cookies but after three days and lots of not so pretty turkeys I finally figured it out! So without further ado, your Thanksgiving turkey cookie recipe!
Almond Cookie Thanksgiving Turkeys
Celebrate Thanksgiving with these adorable almond flavored turkey cookies!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Total Time: 29 mins
- Yield: 30
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 3 cups all purpose flour or 2.5 cups all purpose flour and 1.2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1 large egg
- sliced almonds
- mini chocolate chips
- In a stand mixer whip butter until smooth and fluffy.
- Add sugar slowly, then egg and almond extract.
- Mix two minutes on medium to high speed.
- Slow mixer to low and add flour and salt slowly and mix until incorporated.
- Wrap dough in plastic and chill at least one hour, up to two days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into two different sized balls-body about 1.5″ wide and head about 3/4″
- Insert almond slices into TOP of body to create a fanned turkey tail.
- Insert one small almond slice into TOP of head piece for beak (beak will stay in position better if stick straight up from center top of head)
- All almond pieces should stick straight up towards ceiling to prevent them from falling down as dough settles during baking.
- Bake 14 minutes or until almonds begin to brown and cookie is set.
- Immediately upon removing from oven attach mini chocolate chip eyes-the heat of the cookie melts the chip a bit to hold it in place.
- Cut toothpicks in half with scissors and use to attach heads to the bodies.
Don’t forget I have two awesome giveaways running right now- a $50 credit to the amazing Barn Owl Primitives Store and an iPad Mini Giveaway just in time for Christmas!!