Fresh basil pesto with almonds is the perfect pair to creamy potatoes and crunchy green beans in this quick and easy Pesto Potato Salad.
- 2 lbs. red skinned potatoes
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup good olive oil
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp grated pecorino romano cheese
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a large pot boil potatoes (whole) until easily pierced with a fork, about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes, mine were small to medium.
- In the last few minutes of cooking the potatoes add the green beans to the potato pot and cook for 4 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and green beans in a large colander and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime prepare the pesto: Combine almonds, garlic, and basil in a food processor and process until very finely chopped.
- With machine running slowly drizzle in olive oil and process until well combined.
- Add remaining ingredients (cheese, salt, and pepper) and gently process until just combined. If you find your pesto is too thick you can add a bit more olive oil or even a few splashes of veggie stock works well.
- Dice potatoes into bite size pieces (I keep the skin on) and add to a large bowl with sliced scallions, green beans, and pesto. Stir well to combine.
- Top with additional basil and slivered almonds (optional) serve immediately.
Keywords: pesto potato salad