After I shared my kid’s bathroom cleaning printable a couple of weeks ago I received multiple emails asking me for versions for different areas of the house. The one most requested was a bedroom cleaning checklist and, as you all know, I’m always game to post about your requests! Here is a really easy, standard Kid’s Bedroom Cleaning Checklist you can print at home. (Scroll to the bottom to print your checklist!)
(This is a room two of my boys shared when we lived in DC a few years ago.)
How to Teach Your Kids to Clean Their Rooms
Before you get started with the printable cleaning checklist, it’s important to set your kids up for success when it comes to cleaning their rooms. Simply handing them a checklist and leaving them to it won’t work. Believe me, I’ve tried! As with the bathroom cleaning, it’s very important that you first go through the cleaning process with your child intentionally to model for them how to clean and what their expectations are.
Be certain to keep expectations age-appropriate as well. A younger child will not be able to independently clean their room without adult supervision but they can most definitely do specific tasks when directed and taught.
As an example, younger kids won’t be able to follow a broad instruction like “clean your room,” but can complete specific tasks like “pick up all the stuffed animals.” Keep instructions short and specific until they are able to clean the room by themselves.
How to Clean a Kid’s Bedroom:
- Start by making the bed, this will immediately make the room cleaner and help you in later steps.
- Pick up any dirty clothes and put them in the hamper.
- Pick everything off the floor and place it on the bed. Go through these things one by one putting them in the proper place until the bed is clear.
- Check under the bed and repeat step #3 with anything that doesn’t belong there.
- Clear top of dresser and/or desk, returning anything out of place to its proper place.
- Empty trash can.
That’s it! You’re done!
In our family, we do the deep cleaning tasks like dusting and changing linens on different days so this is a general tidy-up checklist. If there is enough interest in a different version I’m happy to make one up for you all!