Sometimes as a blogger you have to do hard things. Things like making an amazing pie three times in one week in order to make sure the pictures or video are just perfect. That was the case last week when I made this Chocolate Pecan Pie multiple times. In the original recipe, I used a premade pie shell to make the pie. By the time I got to the third pie, I was out of pie shells and didn’t want to run to the store so I opted to make this homemade pie crust instead. I realized then that I had never shared the recipe on the blog which is a shame as its so easy to make and requires only 3 ingredients.
This recipe makes one pie shell. Double if you’re making a closed pie and need a crust for the top. It’s a very easy recipe, I would just caution that being mindful of temperature helps here. Use cold butter, not softened. Use ice water, not lukewarm. And finally, chilling the dough for thirty minutes before rolling it our gives it a better texture. On to the recipe!
Homemade Pie Crust Recipe
Making homemade pie crust is easier than you think! With just three ingredients you can have from scratch pie crust in less than an hour!
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4-1/2 cup ice water
- Whisk the flour and salt together.
- Cut butter into small cubes or pats and add to flour mixture.
- Use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly and well distributed. Pea-sized bits of butter will remain, this is okay!
- Add 1/4 cup of the ice water to the mixture and stir well. When dough comes together, begin working it with your hands. Add more water as necessary, a little at a time until the dough just holds together. Be careful not to add too much water at once.
- Form dough into a ball then flatten into a disk. Chill for 30 minutes before rolling out.
I love this pie crust recipe. While I’m not against using premade crusts and do so quite often, I never regret the extra time taken when I make my pie crust from scratch! Do you use premade pie crusts or make them from scratch? Let me know in the comments!