I’m a documentary junkie, I love them. Usually I watch just for fun and to learn a little something new but not too long ago I watched a show that showed just how they make chicken nuggets. It was gross y’all. I was horrified and immediately threw out the “healthy” nuggets I had in my freezer to make my boys for lunch.
Since the boys love their nuggets I had to experiment with new ways to make them but I finally found this method that is fast, easy, and healthy! They’re so good my husband even asked me to make them for dinner recently!Print
These healthy homemade chicken nuggets are kid-friendly and taste so good with this healthy southwest ranch dipping sauce that even the grown ups will be asking for them!
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1” strips
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 3/4 cup flour (use almond flour for a gluten free option)
- 1 tbsp dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plain lowfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp Ranch seasoning
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- In a small bowl mix egg and mustard, in another small bowl mix flour, dill, and salt.
- Heat olive oil on medium high heat in large skillet.
- Dredge chicken pieces first in egg mixture then in flour to coat.
- Cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, ranch and taco seasonings and stir well. May be thinned with water or milk to make salad dressing.
These taste excellent in the gluten free version made with almond flour too. I went on an elimination diet a while ago to see if I had any food intolerances and these were one of the best gluten free options I had for lunch and dinner!
When I make this for my boys I sometimes put mine in a wrap with avocado, black beans, and corn with some of the dip-so good! You can also thin the dip with water or milk to make it a salad dressing consistency and add the same toppings-chicken, avocado, corn, black beans-to a salad for a tasty southwestern salad.
Are there foods you ate as a kid that you wouldn’t give your own kids now? Are you a documentary fan like me?