When I was a young mother I was so happy by how many fruits and veggies my oldest son ate…I must be a pretty awesome mom with a toddler that scarfed down his peas, right? Fast forward eight years and not a veggie passes that same little mouth without major fuss-and he’s got two little brothers joining him in complaining whenever something green is presented at dinnertime. I’m not the only one with this problem, right?
Recently I was thinking about getting a little sneaky with our veggies by incorporating them into other healthy foods that my boys already love-like Mac & Cheese-a staple in our pantry! I came up with these scrumptious mac & cheese bites that are packing some hidden veggie superpowers thanks to vegetable puree added on the sly!Print
Hidden Veggie Mac and Cheese Bites
Hide some veggies in these Macaroni and Cheese Bites!
- Mac & Cheese, prepared
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (may substitute butternut squash puree if desired)
- 1 cup Shredded Mexican Cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Prepare Horizon Mac & Cheese as directed on package
- Stir pumpkin puree into mac and cheese until totally blended.
- Scoop mac and cheese blend into mini muffin pan, tapping the pasta down to pack well.
- Sprinkle each mac and cheese bite liberally with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before removing from pan. Serve immediately. Makes 24 mac & cheese bites.
My boys gobbled these up in no time (as you can see in the video above!)