This past weekend we had some family in town to visit and I got a big reality check on just how difficult it can be to eat gluten free. My step-dad recently found out he has a gluten allergy and while I thought I had the menu planned out well for the weekend to avoid gluten, once he was here I realized just how many foods have gluten containing ingredients-it was so surprising!
After a few incidences where something I thought was gluten free turned out not to be, I was determined to make something just for my step-dad that would be 100% gluten free that he could enjoy without worry. I surprised him with these tasty gluten free brownies made with almond butter and everyone loved them!
These brownies have a distinct cocoa taste and while the texture is cakey more than fudgey, they just melt in your mouth…definitely a great indulgent treat whether you need gluten free options or not! I found the recipe over at Averie Cooks (amazing blog by the way) and adapted it to what I had on hand. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 4 eggs
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 7 DOVE Dark Chocolate Almond candies (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9 by 9" pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate, butter, and almond butter 30 seconds at a time, stirring well until totally melted.
- Add chocolate mix to a stand mixer and mix on medium speed.
- Add eggs one at a time, blending well.
- Add sugar, cocoa powder, and vanilla and mix 2 minutes or until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and cook for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow brownies to cool completely.
- Once completely cool melt chocolate almond candies in a small bowl in the microwave for 45 seconds.
- Use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over the brownies.
Linking to Linkpartypalooza