It’s the Murphy’s Law of produce shopping-if I buy three bananas it never fails that my boys go coo-coo and eat them all in a day. If I buy ten, no one touches them all week and next thing I know they are overripe on the counter. I’d rather overbuy bananas than under buy, so when they don’t get eaten it gives me an excuse to make this easy banana bread recipe!
I love this recipe because you really can’t go wrong making it. It adapts well to add-ins like nuts, chocolate or peanut butter chips as well. It’s the base for all of my different banana bread variations which I’ll list at the bottom of the blog post. When I first posted it back in 2012 my boys were 5, 4 and 1 and now in 2018 my ten-year-old son can make this all by himself (which he does quite often!)
Easy Delicious Banana Bread
This easy banana bread recipe is a delicious way to use up overripe bananas!
- Prep Time: 10 min
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8 slices
- Category: bread
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3 or 4 ripe bananas, smashed
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Walnuts (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mash ripe bananas with a potato masher.
- Mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the sugar, egg, and vanilla and mix.
- Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and nuts last and mix well.
- Pour mixture into a buttered 4×8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour.
- Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.
For muffins, reduce cooking time to 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Keywords: banana bread
You might also like these banana bread variations:
- Walnut Banana Bread
- Lowfat Apple Banana Oatmeal Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Almond Banana Zucchini Muffins
- Strawberry Banana Bread with Vanilla Glaze
Want more great recipes?
Join our community of over 20,000 everyday cooks and I'll send you an eCookbook with 13 of my favorite desserts as a welcome gift!