Before I get started today you have to promise not to judge-there’s some mess coming up here in a minute. I’m going to blame it on the recent move and I expect y’all to just accept that excuse, um-kay?
Last week on Instagram I shared this picture:
Yeah, this is my “office” at the new house. Really inspiring right? I mean, I look at that desk and I just instantly feel those creative juices start flowing.
The problem is that we are trying to fit both my office and our old family room into one bonus room here at the new house. I used a kitchen island as storage and workspace, had a rolling cart for my Silhouette and Silhouette supplies, and a big closet for storage. The bonus room in the new house has. no. closet.
So the storage has ended up being the top of my desk. Not a good long term solution. But see that frame there perched on the desk? Oh yes, I has plans for that beauty. I found it at a garage sale a week before the move and knew it would make the perfect memo board. It must have gotten a little banged up in the move thought because I carried it out into the garage to paint it and it literally just fell apart in my hands…there was no fixing it, believe me I tried.
I was pretty depressed about it until my husband reminded me I had another old garage sale frame I could use. I had no idea I even had it, apparently blogging makes you hoard.
He wrestled this beauty out from behind our old sectional, also in the bonus room. (Wait, you don’t store un-hung pictures behind your sectional? I thought that was common?) I got to work transforming it immediately, as I knew I was disgarding the glass I went ahead and spray painted it without taping it at all using Rustoleum Universal in Gloss White.
When it was fully dry I began the long, long process of removing the gagillion staples holding the back together with some fancy-dancy needle nose pliers.
This is what a gagillion staples look like by the way:
After discarding the glass I removed the picture, mat and foamboard backing and turned that baby around to cover with some gorgeous fabric I had made pillow covers from a while back (those pillows are in the new living room now!)
I hot glued the fabric tightly around the foamboard, making sure there weren’t any wrinkles.
I also trimmed the corners to reduce the fabric bulk.
Then it was easy as popping the covered foamboard back in the frame and securing it with not-quite a gagillion staples.
I really love the way it turned out! As you’ll probably notice there was a bit of organizing done with the desk as well…I’m loving that it’s functional again-there was a LOT of purging going on to clear it off though! (Not the throwing up kind, the throwing away kind!)
I especially love that my favorite markers and all of my Silhouette Sketch Pens have a new home that lets me admire their pretty colors while I work!
And in the interest of keeping it real-there’s a big pile of as of yet unorganized “stuff” just to the left of the desk…hey, I’m no miracle worker!!
I hope you liked this project, have a wonderful weekend!!