If you follow along on Facebook you know that we just returned from a week-long Carnival cruise to the Western Carribbean. It was amazing-probably the best vacation we’ve taken since we have had children. We had four stops-Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman.
My favorite stop was Belize, where my husband and I took a trek inland to visit the Xunantunich Mayan Ruins…cross that one off the bucket list!
On our second to last night of the cruise my husband chose the Chocolate Melting Cake for dessert and was instantly addicted! He was totally shocked when I told him it was offered every night and he had been missing out the entire cruise-he asked me if I could recreate it at home and subtly suggested it might make a good blog post.
Carnival is very generous about sharing their recipe for the melting cake-you can find it here. But their version calls for 7 eggs which is a little much for me personally so I tweaked it a bit to reduce the eggs and it came out just as good-if you haven’t tried it, you need to put it on your “must make” list right away, just make sure you have some vanilla ice cream on hand to go along with it!Print
Copycat Carnival Chocolate Melting Cake
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small pan, melt chocolate and butter together until smooth, stirring constantly. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together eggs, vanilla, and sugar together in a small bowl.
- Add flour and stir until smooth.
- When chocolate is cool (after about 10-15 minutes) stir into egg mixture (don’t do this when the chocolate is too hot or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs!)
- Fill 6 small ramekins about 3/4 of the way full with batter.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until middle is just set, you want the bottom half of the cake to be the consistency of pudding. Check with a toothpick if unsure!
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Do y’all want to hear more about the cruise or should I stick to the recipes and DIY? Let me know!