I love carrot cake in all forms, which is why I decided this past week to rework my favorite carrot cake recipe into these delicious carrot cake muffins! Not only are muffins a little bit faster and easier to make, but I can totally pass them off as breakfast despite that sweet cream cheese-y dollop of frosting on top! (Kidding, maybe!)
These muffins are perfectly spiced, and oh my goodness that cream cheese frosting is the best ever. My kids devoured these guys in all of one day-for both breakfast and dessert!Print
Springtime favorite carrot cake in cupcake form! Perfectly spiced carrot cake with a creamy, delicious cream cheese frosting. Perfect for Easter dessert.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 medium carrots
For the frosting:
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 stick butter, softened (4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- In a food processor (or I use my Ninja Blender) shred carrots finely, set aside.
- In a large bowl combine sugar, oil, and eggs and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and nutmeg. Whisk to combine.
- Slowly add dry mix into wet mixture while mixing on medium speed.
- Mix until just combined-do not over stir.
- Fold in carrots and pour into muffin pan, filling each almost full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack until room temperature.
- For the frosting combine cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl and mix on medium speed until creamy and uniform.
- Add vanilla and then slowly add powdered sugar.
- Frost muffins once completely cooled.
- Top with chopped walnuts if desired.
- Serve immediately or store covered and refrigerate up to 3 days.
So what do you think? Can I get away with these for breakfast? Let me know in the comments!