After a lot of rearranging and purging I am finally ready to share the “bonus” room at the new townhouse! This space is really a catch-all for many different areas from our last house. My office, our home office/tech room, and family room are all now combined into this one area. Add to that a workout area and the fact that we are now homeschooling and this space has to cover a TON of needs.
One of the lessons I learned in last weekend’s Haven “Interior Designers Tell All” session is that a space can’t just be beautiful, it has to be functional as well. Beauty without function is useless. My husband and I really spent a lot of time recently getting this space functional.
We started by removing the chaise lounge part of the sectional that used to be in our living room at the old house. This opened up the room for other uses, like working out and playing games with the boys.
So….the room is now functional. I can work out, teach my boys, work on blog projects, and lounge and watch a movie. What the room is NOT is cohesive or “pretty.” Here are a few of the projects I’ll be working on to spruce up the space now that it’s usable:
- Valances to accent the gorgeous windows
- Pillow covers to lighten up the couch and pull together the room
- Updating the bookcase-paint and recovering the back panel in a coordinating fabric
- Possibly skirting the table to hide filing cabinets
- Buy/build a side table that would also serve to store my workout equipment
- Fine tune the storage in the room-using baskets and other containers to make it more presentable
- Rug? I bought a rug for the space but it was wrinkling constantly even with a pad and I pulled it up-any solutions for that? I may try it again now that I’ve opened up the room a bit. (You can get a glimpse of it here-I love it!)
Do you have any multipurpose areas of your home like this space? What do you think of my plan?