When I think about “home” from my childhood I don’t think about a particular house, or a particular city…you see-we moved a lot and those things never really mattered to me. When I think of the comforts of home I see the rattan rocking chair that followed us from place to place, the macrame plant hangars that always seemed to be in the kitchen window, and the home-cooked meals my mom served the two of us of macaroni and cheese with canned peas in the early days when she was a young single mother…gourmet creations on colorful plates in the later years after she had worked her way into a wonderful career.
Sometimes I look back and wonder what my boys will think of when they think of home years from now, you see-we move a lot too. I hope they’ll remember a mom who was always in the kitchen whipping up new things to fill their bottomless bellies, fresh flowers and too many house plants, a house that is probably kept a little too tidy for their taste, and lots of laughter and time together.
There are so many different things that can represent home, and Marie Callender’s is relaunching their Comforts From Home Project by bringing the comforts of home to those who protect America’s homes every day: the brave men and women of the U.S. military. They’ve teamed up with the USO to support Operation Celebration™, a program that shares a bit of home with our troops and helps them celebrate the holidays year round. Every time you enter a code from specially-marked packages of Marie Callender’s meals or desserts, Marie Callender’s will make a donation to the USO to support USO Operation Celebration™ .
To celebrate these amazing initiatives Marie’s is holding a Facebook Challengee! Submit your pictures in support of the USO and your photos could be featured on-air during special episodes of Kitchen Crashers(HGTV), Hello/Goodbye(Travel Channel), and Guy’s Grocery Games(Food Network)! How cool is that?
About the Challenge:
- Users will be encouraged to submit their own photos in support of the USO, using #comfortsfromhome – what does home mean to them?
- Scripps Network will donate $1 to the USO for each photo received (up to $10K) • User photos may be featured on air for the following shows:
- Kitchen Crashers on DIYNetwork & HGTV – Airing 11/9 and 11/14
- Hello/Goodbye on Travel Channel – Airing 11/10
- Guy’s Grocery Games on Food Network & Cooking Channel — Airing 12/14 and 12/19
- Visit ComfortsfromHome.com to learn more about how you can join Marie Callender’s in helping to bring a little bit of home sweet home to our U.S. service men and women overseas.
You all know this is a cause close to my heart-I hope to see some of your pictures featured as part of the challenge!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Marie Callender’s. The opinions and text are all mine.